Pet Nutrition Services at Stone Ridge Veterinary Hospital
A healthy diet and the right nutrition are at the very core of your dog or cat’s health. Nutrition can be the key to a long and healthy life. At Stone Ridge Veterinary Hospital, we offer a complete nutritional counseling course for your dog or cat. We carry a range of specialty and prescription foods to ensure that your four-legged friend stays bright-eyed for years to come.
Selecting the Right Food
When it comes to the many different pet food market options, no product is the absolute best. However, you can select the right food based on your pet’s individual needs. Our recommendations follow the guidelines of the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO). This ensures your pet receives the proper amount of protein, fat, carbohydrates, and nutrients. When discussing food, we also consider age, lifestyle, and overall health.
Pet Weight Loss and Management
For cats and dogs, being even slightly overweight puts them at risk for developing serious medical conditions, such as:
- Diabetes (type 2)
- Heart and respiratory disease
- High blood pressure
- Various forms of cancer
If your pet is overweight or obese, consider these weight loss tips:
- Feeding your pet 2-3 meals a day burns more calories and can reduce begging since food is in your pet’s stomach more often.
- To encourage movement, divide meals into smaller quantities and place them in different locations around the house. Also, consider purchasing a toy that rolls around, slowly releasing food. This motivates pets to “work” for their meal.
- Make a treat bag that contains only the daily-recommended amount of snack calories for your pet. When the bag is empty, your pet should not receive any more treats for the day. Be sure to involve the whole family!
- For cats, use interactive toys that require effort (such as laser pointers). Also, try throwing treats or toys upstairs, so your cat has to climb to retrieve them.
Preventing obesity and managing your pet’s weight is easier than you think. The Stone Ridge Veterinary Hospital team is happy to help you explore healthier lifestyle choices for your pet.
Be Smart, Buy Healthy
As advocates for informed, educated pet owners, we encourage you to learn how to read pet food labels. Terms such as “human grade” and “grain-free” can be misleading, and we want you to have accurate information when making decisions on behalf of your pet.